If you think your daily cup of joe is good, just wait until you try a cup of Vietnamese coffee, iced or hot either way is delicious. Traditionally, Vietnamese coffee is made with espresso and sweetened condensed milk, seems pretty simple right. Using a phin coffee filter (seen below) espresso is slowly brewed into a glass of sweetened condensed milk, after it sits for a little the sweetened condensed milk gets soft form the warm coffee and easily mixes together, drink hot or pour over ice for a refreshing sweet drink.
My first time trying Vietnamese coffee was at a small family owned Vietnamese restaurant. I was with some of my class mates from culinary school and we all decided we would try it, unable to actually say it in Vietnamese, Ca Phe Sua Da, we asked for #92. I was really surprised when I saw a little glass of sweetened condensed milk come out with the cute phin filter on top slowly dripping espresso. I mean I drink coffee everyday, I’ve had every type of american coffee, authentic french coffee and authentic Mexican coffee, I thought I had experienced it all. Nope. Ugh, how I wish I would have heard of this sooner. It really is so simple but it was so delicious, rich and creamy, and using espresso instead of typical coffee, gave it a much stronger richer taste. I loved it so much I went out and bought my own phin filter like this one here, Vietnamese Coffee Filter. Now I always have a can of sweetened condensed milk on hand for days my typical cup of coffee just doesn’t cut it, this is also a great way to impress your friends!
- 3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons espresso, ground
- 8 oz boiling water
- 1 cup ice
- Pour condensed milk in a tall glass.
- Place the phin filter chamber and cup spanner on top of the glass, remove the filter and measure out the coffee, leveling it out by gently tapping the chamber. Place the filter on top, and pour just a touch of boiling water into the filter, and let the water absorb into the coffee.
- Proceed to fill the chamber with the rest of the hot water to the top, cover, and let it steep until all the water passes through the filter.
- Remove the filter, stir the condensed milk and coffee, then pour over a tall glass with ice. Serve immediately. Enjoy