One of my favorite things, warm homemade bread. I’ve made my share of homemade yeast breads, enduring the hours of resting and rising. May I say, it is always worth the wait. But these french bread dinner rolls are surprisingly quick and easy. They only need to rise twice for 40 minutes each, and with only 5 ingredients, you can’t go wrong.
I used a stand mixer for this, but as always you can do this by hand as well. I started by mixing the hot water, sugar and yeast in my mixer bowl. You need the water to be warm so the yeast can activate. Let that sit about 10 minutes than add in your salt, olive oil and 2 cups of flour, mix until combined. Incorporate the rest of the flour a 1/2 cup at a time, until a dough forms and slides nicely off the mixer.
On a floured surface knead the dough about 10 minutes until smooth, place in an oiled bowl, cover with a towel and let rise for 40 minutes. Once the dough has rested, on a floured surface punch the dough to release some of the air, and divide into 16 even pieces. Roll into balls and place on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rise again for 40 minutes. Once doubled in size, bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl mix together warm water, yeast and sugar and let stand for about 10 minutes.
- Add oil, salt and 2 cups of flour to the yeast mixture.
- Stir well to combine.
- Stir in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Lightly oil a large bowl and place dough in and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with cloth and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto floured surface.
- Divide dough into 16 equal pieces and form into rounds.
- Place rolls onto lightly greased baking sheet at least 2" apart.
- Cover rolls with cloth and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and bake rolls for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown
- **These can be sealed and put in the freezer for up to 6 months