I love the fresh, tart flavor of lemons. I try to always have a couple in my fridge, I love lemon in my water and I love using the fresh juice and the zest in my recipes. Lemon curd may sound difficult but it is very simple, you can make many types of curd’s, mango curd, strawberry curd, pomegranate curd, the possibilities are endless. You only need a couple ingredients and most of them you probably have on hand.
In this case I made lemon curd, besides for the lemons I had everything else on hand. Eggs, butter, and sugar, simple! Simply zest the lemons, using a zester or a vegetable peeler, if necessary you can put the zest in a food processor, if the zest is small enough you can omit this step. Squeeze about a 1/2 cup of juice from the lemons and set aside. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer cream together the butter and sugar. Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice. Once mixed incorporate the eggs one at a time, until evenly mixed.
Move the curd into a saucepan, on low heat, and stir constantly until thickened, about 10 minutes, than remove from the heat and pour into your tart crust, this is the recipe I used Low-Carb Coconut Flour Crust and it was delicious. Allow to cool at room temperature before serving.
**The curd may seem a bit runny, but as it’s sits it will set up.
- 4 lemons, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract- eliminate for savory
- 1/4 cup Sugar, or no calorie sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold cut into cubes
- Zest the lemons with a vegetable peeler or zester.
- Squeeze the lemons to make 1/2 cup of juice and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs,1 at a time, and then add the lemon juice, Mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Fill the tart shell with warm lemon curd and allow to set at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla extract into a stand mixer.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until a dough forms.
- Add the cubed butter.
- Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter, until a crumbly dough forms.
- Squeeze crumbles together with hands until you form a ball of dough.
- Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper and flip over into a 9 inch tart pan or pie plate.
- Using a fork randomly make form hole into the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the crust 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil if using this for a pie that needs to be baked again.
- Once cooled out of the oven, add your filling, bake again if necessary.