Once again this recipe comes to life as I am going through my cupboards trying to use all my ingredients up before moving. Lately I’ve been seeing many beautiful tarts on pinterest and that inspired me to make one of my own. I had a mason jar full of coconut flour in my pantry so I thought why not substitute that for all purpose flour and make a tart crust out of it. I’m not even a fan of coconut, but coconut flour when baked doesn’t really taste that much like coconut at all. Now I wasn’t meaning to get a little healthy with this, but using coconut flour, which is low in carbs, makes this crust very low-carb in general!
Start by preheating you oven to 400. Using a stand mixer, whisk your eggs, olive oil and vanilla. In a small mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients, flour, salt, and sugar. Mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ones, until combined. Cut in your butter cubes using a fork or a pastry blender, until the dough has a crumby consistency. Press the dough into a ball and place between two sheets of parchment, roll out evenly until it is slightly larger than your tart tin.
Place the dough over the tin and press down, cut off any excess dough. I made two crust the first one stuck the the parchment and didn’t come up easily so I rolled it back up into a ball and just used my hand to push it into the tart pan. The second crust I made rolled up very easily and was much easier to fit into the tart pan, either was will work out just fine. You can use this as either a pie crust or for tarts, as they are pretty much interchangeable. Before baking the crust randomly poke the bottom of the crust with a fork to create a few holes.
This crust only needs to bake for 10 minutes, if you are making the crust to fill with a no bake filling than you can simply put the crust in the oven. But if you are planning to bake the tart again, wrap the edges with aluminum foil to prevent burning. Fill with your favorite filling and enjoy!
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract- eliminate for savory
- 1/4 cup Sugar, or no calorie sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Whisk the eggs, oil and vanilla extract into a stand mixer.
- In another bowl whisk the flour, salt and sugar together.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until a dough forms.
- Add the cubed butter.
- Cut in the butter using a fork or a pastry cutter, until a crumbly dough forms.
- Squeeze crumbles together with hands until you form a ball of dough.
- Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper and flip over into a 9 inch tart pan or pie plate.
- Using a fork randomly make form hole into the bottom of the crust.
- Bake the crust 10 minutes or until golden.
- Cover the crust edges with aluminum foil if using this for a pie that needs to be baked again.
- Once cooled out of the oven, add your filling, bake again if necessary.
- **You may use this as a substitute to any pie or tart crust.