I love roasted veggies, it has to be one of my favorite ways to eat any vegetable. You can dress them up however you’d like, they basically cook themselves and they always turn out perfect. Typically I go through my fridge and my pantry and any lose or expiring vegetables I have, get chopped up, tossed in olive oil and seasoning and roasted until delicious perfection.
So I bet you can’t guess that I had a bag full of beets and half a bag of sort of sad looking carrots, so what better to do than roast them. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and simply start by peeling the carrots and cutting them, for this recipe I sliced them diagonally, on the bias.
Now if your not familiar with working with beets, they sort of taste like a carrot and a potato to me. But beware, their vibrant color will get al over, so be careful of what you touch. Since we are roasting these I simply peeled the outer skin off, sort of like you would a potato, and sliced them into thin slices, you can do any size or shape you prefer. The carrots tend to cook a little quicker so if your planning to do them all on the same pan, slice the carrots a little larger and the beets slightly smaller.
Spread in a single layer on a greased sheet pan and toss in olive oil until lightly coated, sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and fresh thyme. You absolutely do not have to use the same spices I did, get creative and use up whatever spices you have! Roast for about 20 minutes, checking them with a fork to check tenderness, they may need more time, they are done when they are fork tender and lightly caramelized. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- 6 Beets, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch slices roughly
- 7 Whole Carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch slices, I sliced mine diagonally on the bias
- Olive oil, to coat
- Garlic powder
- Fresh thyme, chopped, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the beets and carrots on a greased sheet tray.
- Drizzle with enough olive oil to coat all of the vegetables. Sprinkle generously with salt, garlic powder and a sprinkle of fresh thyme.
- Place in the oven. Roast for about 20 minutes, than check the tenderness with a fork, allow for more time if necessary, they should be for tender and lightly caramelized when done.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
- **The amounts and cooking time given in this recipe are rough estimates, feel free to adjust