Since Spring isn’t coming for us anytime soon, I decided I would try and get us in the mood by making these very spring like sugar cookie bars. I mean it did get us in the spring mood, until we looked outside. But the fun colors did brighten the mood. These are the same as your traditional sugar cookie, except they are in cute little bars. I made these for a bake sale so I decided a sugar cookie bar would be a little different.
Start by preheating our oven to 350º F, In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and the butter, add in the eggs, vanilla and almond extracts and mix until combined. In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, until a sticky dough forms. Press the dough into a greased 9″x13″ baking dish. Bake at 350, for 15-20 minutes.
While the bars are baking you can make your frosting. In a large bowl start by mixing the butter and cream cheese together, once smooth add in your powdered sugar, mix again until creamy. Add in your vanilla and almond extract, salt , and food coloring if wanted, mix again until combined.
Once the cookie bars are done baking, remove from oven and allow to cool completely before icing. Top with sprinkles or any other toppings if wanted, cut into squares or sticks and serve!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 5 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- dash of salt
- Food coloring (optional)
- 2-3 tsp milk if needed
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat till well blended. Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Add to the wet ingredients and stir till well combined.
- Press into a 17" x 12" rimmed baking sheet that has been sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until barely light brown. Cool completely, then frost.
- For the Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl till smooth. Add powdered sugar, extracts, salt, and food coloring. Beat till smooth and creamy, adding milk as needed. Top with sprinkles if desired.