I can’t believe it’s almost August, all this summer heat has left me with a lot of produce! I love when friends and neighbors share their fresh produce, but as usual I get too much at once. That’s when I have to get creative with my recipes, I love fresh summer salads, pastas and salsa!
I had a couple dozen ears of corn in my fridge, so I knew at the least I needed to shuck and clean them. I also had some heirloom cherry tomatoes, a random bunch of Thai basil and some orzo in my pantry. What’s better on a hot summer day than a refreshing, crisp, veggie filled pasta salad.
I started by shucking and cleaning the ears of corn, than quickly cooking them in boiling water, you can of course also use frozen or canned corn kernels. I would typically use frozen instead, as it is much quicker, cleaner and cost effective. Like I mentioned for this I used orzo but you could substitute it with any other pasta, quinoa or lentils. Cooked the orzo according to package directions, set aside and let cool, I also set the cooked corn aside to cool as well.
Clean and slice the cherry tomatoes and the Thai basil, again you certainly don’t have to use Thai basil, it’s just what I had on hand. With all the ingredients prepped, I made a dressing using olive oil, white wine vinegar and fresh lemon juice, seasoned lightly with salt and pepper. Combine the orzo, corn, tomatoes and basil in a large serving bowl, pour the dressing over the top and mix to combine. Season again with salt and pepper if needed, serve and enjoy! This salad will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- 2 cups of fresh cooked sweet corn, or frozen
- 1 pint of heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 lb of orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook Orzo pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Shuck and clean the corn, if using fresh, and cut the kernels off the cob.Bring a pot of water to a boil, add in the corn kernels and boil about 4 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside, if using frozen simply defrost.
- Slice the tomatoes and chiffonade the basil, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine orzo, tomatoes, corn and basil stir well.
- In a medium bowl, combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Pour dressing over salad and toss well. Serve at room temperature.