Happy Thursday, I can’t believe it’s almost the weekend again, I say weekend very loosely because my weekend is typically Monday and Tuesday. Working in a restaurant kitchen, Thursday is usually when the craziness starts. Even though I am around food all .day at work, prepping, cooking, plating, I still love to cook what I want on my days off.
This chopped salad isn’t your typical lettuce salad but it is another genius way to use up those fresh summer veggies. Chopped salads, have to be one of my favorites, I find they are much easier to eat, you don’t have to worry about getting dressing on your face or getting hit by a bi leaf of lettuce.
You can make this salad with just about any vegetables you have in your fridge, crunchy, hearty vegetables work best. Anything like corn, green beans, peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, onions, you get the idea. The prep is also super easy, basically just a bunch of chopping and the dressing can be as simple or as complex as you make it.
I used peppers, cucumber, corn, tomatoes and onion in my salad. Simply chop all the veggies to the size you prefer, I did a small dice. Mix all the veggies and cilantro in a large mixing bowl, set aside. Mix the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together to make a dressing, pour over the veggies and toss to combine. Serve immediately!
- 2 ears corn
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded & cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small green pepper, seeded & cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small yellow pepper, seeded, deveined, & cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Clean and cut the kernels off the corn, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook, 5-7 minutes until tender, drain and set aside.
- Chop the cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes and cilantro, set aside.
- Combine tomatoes, peppers, cucumber, corn and cilantro in a large bowl.
- Combine olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Adjust seasonings to your liking, pour over the veggie mixture and stir to combine. Enjoy immediately.