Who doesn’t love chicken wings? They are game day staples, make great appetizers, work wonderfully for a crowd and can be sauced anyway you want. What could be better? Easy sheet pan baked chicken wings, rubbed with ranch seasoning, you still get all the crispy skin without standing over a fryer, and for much fewer calories. Win win.
I always buy whole chickens and break them down, than portion them and freeze them. When I have enough wings to make a meal, it’s wing night, of course. I don’t own a fryer at home and I’m around a fryer enough at work so I wanted a different way to make them crispy rather than pan frying them, why not give the oven a shot. I also, as much of the world, love ranch and I always have ranch with my wings, you can save the blue cheese. So why not rub them in homemade ranch seasoning. Seems like the best of both worlds and success, it was!
I didn’t cook the wings terribly long like some recipes call for, I also didn’t turn my oven up to a ridiculous temperature. I set my oven at 400 Degrees F, baked the wings for 40 minutes than broiled them quickly. Easy right?
So how can you get delicious crispy wings at home without the fryer mess, start by putting your chicken wings into a large mixing bowl, I had 20 wings, a mix of the flats and the drums. Sprinkle the wings with baking powder, this helps them get their crispy skin, using your hands evenly mix the baking powder around.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix your ranch seasoning together, you can also use a packet of dressing mix if needed. Al it is, is dried dill, dried parsley flakes, garlic powder, onion flakes, salt and black pepper. Pour the spice mixture over the wings and again using your hands mix to get every wing evenly coated. Line a baking sheet with a cooking rack and lay the wings out in a single layer. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, flip the wings over, than bake for another 20 minutes. Once the wings are done place them under the broiler for a few minutes the get the skin extra crispy and serve immediately! I promise you won’t even have leftovers, and the best part your guests won’t even know they were baked!
- 20 chicken wings, drums and flats
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp dill, dried
- 2 tbsp parsley flakes, dried
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl toss the chicken wings with baking powder, ensuring they are all evenly coated.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine the dill, parsley, garlic powder, onion flakes, salt and pepper to make the ranch rub.Sprinkle the spice mixture over the wings and again toss to coat, evenly.
- Line a baking sheet with a cooking rack and lay the wings out in a single layer.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, flip the wings, than cook for another 20 minutes. After the wings are cooked, place under the broiler to make the skin crispy. Serve!