Be honest. Who doesn’t feel a little better eating zucchini bread knowing it’s full a this nutritious vegetable. Even if it is packed with chocolate chips! Okay, while I know no one is eating zucchini bread to get in their servings of vegetables, but it helps, in some way. I love any kind of bread, yeast breads, sweet breads, or quick breads. Two of my favorite quick breads I make constantly on rotation are banana bread and zucchini bread. If you like banana bread try out my Rum & Cardamom Banana Bread, it’s amazing.
Any way back to zucchini bread, you can definitely make adjustments to make this even healthier, like substituting honey for sugar which we do, or applesauce for oil. Whichever swaps you make, the chocolate chips still sweeten this up. One bowl, one hour and one amazing loaf of bread. Le’s start.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, grease an 8×4 loaf pan with cooking spray or butter, set aside. In a small bowl mix your dry ingredients, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, mix to combine. In a separate bowl combine your wet ingredients, honey, canola oil, one egg, and vanilla extract, whisk to combine.
Slowly combine your wet and dry ingredients, mix until totally combined. Fold in your shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour into your greased loaf pan and bake for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out cleans, allow to cool slightly and slice to serve.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, prepare a 8×4 loaf pan by greasing the bottom and sides.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl combine oil, honey, egg and vanilla extract, whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until everything is combined. Fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Add the batter to prepared loaf pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.