Appetizers and small bites have a special place in my heart, I do and always have loved snacking. But I’m pretty sure everyone does. Appetizers are perfect for so many events, game day, work potlucks, birthdays and any family get together. But I often find the same snacks being made over and over again. So I’m on the hunt to think of some new appetizer ideas. As much as I love buffalo chicken dip, BBQ wienies, spinach artichoke dip, and so many other popular game day snacks I’m ready to change it up.
Starting with these homemade meatballs with BBQ and grape glaze, a perfect one bite snack that is great for a crowd, and can be cooked and served all in one pan. Even better they are very budget friendly, which means more room in the budget for other snacks. These can also be made in the crock pot ahead of time so they can be even more convenient.
Grape jelly and BBQ sauce comes together perfectly to make a thick glaze that’s both sweet and salty, you can even add some spice to it. Making your own meatballs is easier than it seems, and baking them in the oven eliminates a lot of hassle. Plus making them yourself allows you to control the seasoning.
To make the meatballs combine the ground beef, egg, milk, bread crumbs, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley flakes, salt, and pepper, using your hands mix to combine. The mixture should stick together on it’s own but not seem too dry. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, using a cookie scoop or a spoon, rolls the mixture into even sized meatballs, about an inch. Bake at 450 degrees F, for 13-15 minutes until the beef is cooked through.
In a saute pan combine BBQ sauce, grape jelly and soy sauce, stir to combine, heat over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens 4-5 minutes. Add in the meatballs, toss to coat. Sprinkle fresh parsley and sesame seeds over the top for garnish, serve as is in the skillet or on a tray.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup grape jelly, or preserves
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground beef, egg, milk, bread crumbs, garlic powder, cayenne, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Using your hands or a rubber spatula mix all ingredients together until combined. The meat should hold together easily on its own.
- Roll the beef mixture into even sized balls, about 1" big.
- Bake 13-15 minutes, or until meatballs are done all the way through.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat a saute pan over medium heat, combine the grape jelly, bbq sauce, and soy sauce. Mix to combine and allow to cook until warm and slightly thickened.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking remove from the oven and toss in the grape glaze, top with parsley and sesame seeds, serve and enjoy!
- **Using a cookie scoop helps to make evenly sized meatballs