I know it’s the holiday season but who says we can’t have some nontraditional holiday food along the way. Pad Thai has to be one of my favorite dishes in Thai cuisine. Its always my go to when we eat out. Than I got to thinking why don’t I ever make it at home? I always keep a box of rice noodle in my pantry in case I get the desire to make spring rolls or sesame noodles.
This is a cold salad which makes it great for crowds, parties, or a make ahead meal. You can even prepare all the ingredients ahead of time and keep them separate than toss them all together before service. Plus all the different colors from the veggies give it an A+ on presentation. When I made this I made it as a side dish, so I didn’t add any meat, but it goes great with chicken or shrimp.
Start by cooking your noodles according to package directions. I used rice noodles, which you can find in most supermarkets, if you can’t find rice noodles you can substitute linguine noodles. While your noodles are cooking prepare the peanut sauce, in a blender combine, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, ponzu, soy sauce, lime juice, and salt, blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick blend in a little water until the consistency is what you’d like.
Once the noodles are done cooking set them aside to cool, if they are rice noodle allow them to cool in cold water to keep them from sticking together. Shred the cabbage and carrots, or buy a bag of already shredded green cabbage, purple cabbage, and carrots. Chop your scallions and cilantro, reserve some cilantro for a garnish. If your peanuts are not roasted go ahead and give them a quick roast in a saute pan or under the broiler, keeping an eye on them. Chop the peanuts or place them in a plastic bag and give them a little crush.
In a large bowl combine the noodles, shredded cabbage and carrots, scallions, cilantro, toss to combine. Pour the peanut sauce over the top and again toss to evenly coat, pour into a serving bowl and garnish with remaining cilantro and crushed peanuts. This salad will keep in the fridge up to 3 days.
Pad Thai Noodle Salad
- 6 oz Dry rice noodles May substitute linguine
- 3 cups Shredded Cabbage
- 2 cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 Scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup Roasted peanuts, chopped
For the Dressing
- 1 tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup Peanut butter
- 1 tbsp ponzu
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 tsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook noodles according to directions on package. Drain, if using rice noodles allow to cool in a bowl of cold water, set aside.
- In a blender, blend all peanut sauce ingredients together until smooth, if the mixture is too thick blend in a little water.
- Place shredded cabbage, shredded carrots, chopped scallion, and chopped parsley in a large bowl with the cooked noodles. Pour the peanut sauce over top and toss well to combine.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with roasted peanuts and cilantro.