Now who doesn’t love Chinese or Thai take-out, everyone does. But it can get a bit pricey sometimes, and it’s nice to know exactly what is going into your food. My all time favorite when we go out for Thai food is always chicken Pad Thai, it has everything I want, noodles, veggies, chicken, a delicious sauce, and of course crunchy peanuts.
I pretty much always have an arsenal of Thai ingredients in my fridge or pantry which makes this a very quick weeknight meal, and even better aside from cooking the rice noodle this can all be made in one pan! If your looking to make this meal a little quicker you can pick up some shortcuts at the supermarket. Already shredded cabbage and carrots are a no brainier, shredded rotisserie chicken is a super quick substitute, and don’t have all the ingredients for the sauce on hand, pick up a bottle of pre made pad Thai sauce!
Whether you make this entirely form scratch or use a couple shortcuts, no doubt this will become your families new favorite weeknight meal, forget the take-out!
Before starting your Pad Thai, make sure you have all your ingredients prepared, this comes together quick. Shred your carrots and cabbage, If you are doing this by hand I suggest using a food processor with a shred attachment or a box grater. Cube your boneless, skinless chicken breast into bite size pieces and crush your peanuts, I put my whole peanuts into a heavy duty Ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
In a medium mixing bow combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, sambal, lime juice, and rice vinegar, stir to combine and set aside. Cook your rice noodles according to package directions and allow to soak in cold water until needed.
In a large saute pan heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add in the cubed chicken and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside on a plate. Using the same pan add in the shredded cabbage and carrots, saute 1-2 minutes, than add in the minced garlic and bean sprouts, saute for another 1-2 minutes.
Push the cooked veggies aside and crack the eggs into the pan, scramble until cooked through. Add the cooked chicken back into the pan, as well as the cooked rice noodles and the prepared sauce. Toss together and serve garnished with cilantro, crushed peanuts, and sesame seeds!
Chicken Pad Thai
- 1 Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 12 oz Rice noodles
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tsp Lime juice
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
- 1 tbsp Sambal
- 1 cup Shredded carrots
- 1 cup Shredded cabbage
- 1 cup Bean sprouts
- 2 Cloves, minced garlic
- 2 Eggs
- Cilantro, garnish
- Crushed peanuts, garnish
- Sesame Seeds, garnish
- Cook rice noodles according to package directions, set aside. Cube the chicken breast and shred the carrots and cabbage.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, and sambal, mix to combine, set aside.
- In a large saute pan heat oil over medium-high heat, saute the cubed chicken until done, 4-5 minutes, transfer to a plate and set aside. Keeping your pan hot add in the carrots and cabbage, saute 1-2 minutes until tender, add in the garlic and bean sprouts and saute another 1-2 minutes until everything is tender.
- Push the cooked veggies to the side and crack in the eggs, scramble until cooked. Add the chicken back in as well as the cooked rice noodles and the prepared sauce.
- Toss everything together and serve garnished with cilantro, sesame seeds and crushed peanuts!