As you all know, appetizers are one of my favorite things to make and to eat. I love snacking on foods. I especially love bite sized food, I have a large arsenal of quick and easy appetizers for dinner parties or game day’s. I’ve always loved breaded mushrooms and I have to admit I used to be guilty of buying a box of breaded mushrooms from the frozen aisles at the grocery store and eating the whole thing. I love them!
So I decided I would make my own, and while yes they would be better fried, I am too lazy to deal with heating up oil and than cleaning up the mess it makes, so I bake them instead. I have to admit I have to be around fryers and fryer oil enough at the restaurant, so I don’t love the idea of being around it at home. While I should probably tell people I don’t fry stuff at home because I am worried about my figure, the truth is I am too lazy.
Anyway, I promise these are so crispy you won’t even miss the fried texture of traditional breaded mushrooms. I also am a very big supporter of dips, I love being able to dip my food. My favorite sauce to serve with the garlic breaded mushrooms is my Creamy Dill Sauce, clink on the link to find out how you can make it yourself!
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F, grease a baking sheet and set aside. Thoroughly wash and dry the mushrooms, I usually leave the stems on when I make these. Than you want to set up your breading station in three separate bowls. In one bowl your want to whisk together the milk and the egg. In another bowl mix together the panko bread crumbs and the chopped parsley. In the third bowl combine the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and dark chili powder, stir to combine.
To bread the mushrooms we will coat each mushroom four times, starting with the milk mixture, than dip into the flour mixture, than dip again in the milk mixture, and dip one final time into the panko mixture. Repeat these steps for all of the mushrooms. You do not need to coat the mushrooms four times, but since we are baking them, this will help them to get extra crispy.
Than line the mushrooms out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet, bake at 400 degrees F, for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!
Crispy Baked Garlic Breaded Mushrooms
- 20 White button mushrooms
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Egg
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Black pepper
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Dark chili powder
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, grease a baking sheet, set aside.
- In a shallow dish combine flour with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder, stir to combine. In a medium mixing bowl combine the milk and the egg, whisk to combine. In another shallow dish combine the panko breadcrumbs and the parsley, stir to combine.
- Clean the mushrooms and pat dry, leave any stems on. Take each mushroom and dip in in the milk mixture, than coat in the seasoned flour, dip the mushrooms again into the milk mixture than coat one more time in the seasoned panko mixture.
- Coat all mushrooms the same way, milk, flour, milk, panko. Lay out in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Serve with your favorite sauce.