Happy Thursday! Even though it is currently snowing, I am still determined to stay in the mood for spring, since it has to arrive at some point! I mean it does have to stop snowing at some point right? Anyway with spring on my mind I have been sticking to my fruit themed desserts. I recently made my Rustic Apple Galette, which was so delicious and really got us all in the mood for spring.
I had some oranges in my fruit basket that had definitely had some better days, so I decided what a better way to use these sad oranges than to squeeze them add, and get what little zest out of them that I could, and make a quick bread! I love making quick breads, well because they really are quick, they don’t need to rest and rise and proof for hours. They come together so quickly and 9/10 times they come out perfect.
Now there may be a little debate whether this is a bread or a dessert? I mean I did add some glaze to the top of it, but it has orange juice in it… so technically you could make this count as a breakfast. Or a dessert who knows. Call it what you will, but it was delicious!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan, set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda, whisk to combine and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter and the sugar until smooth about 2-3 minutes. Than add in the eggs one at a time, than add in 4 tbsp of the fresh squeezed orange juice as well as the mashed bananas.
Mix until everything is incorporated, scrape down the sides and add in the dry ingredients. Mix again until everything is combined, pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
While the bread is baking prepare the orange glaze by combing the powdered sugar, remaining or juice, and the light corn syrup in a small bowl, whisk to combine. Once the bread is done baking and a toothpick inserted came out clean, allow to cool completely before glazing, allow the glaze to harden than slice, serve and enjoy!
Orange and Banana Bread with Orange Glaze
- 2 cups All purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3/4 tsp Baking soda
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Stick butter, softened
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Ripe bananas, mashed
- 6 tbsp Fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup Powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp Light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 loaf pan, set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, and baking soda, whisk to combine, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the sugar and softened butter, 2-3 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, than mix in the mashed bananas and 4 tbsp fresh orange juice.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and slowly add in your dry ingredients. Mix until evenly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake at 400 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the remaining 2 tbsp of orange juice, powdered sugar, and light corn syrup. Whisk together to combine, if the mixture is to thin add more powdered sugar, if the mixture is to thick add more orange juice.
- Allow to bread to cool completely before glazing. Once cooled pour the glaze over the top, slice and serve!