I know that it is spring, well it is supposed to be at least, there is still snow falling. But even though the warm weather is coming it doesn’t mean that we can’t still make soup. As long as I’m not sitting outside in the heat eating soup, I can eat it all year long.
Especially when it is one-pot soup, that’s even better. Tomato based soups are one of my favorites, and I like them even better when cream is involved! In the past one of my favorite soups to make has been lasagna soup, so I was thinking why not make “lasagna” soup with tortellini? I picked up a package of tortellini for $1.49, which I thought was pretty cheap, paired with a bunch of other very affordable ingredients, this soup is incredibly budget friendly.
In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add in the diced onion, and saute 2-3 minutes until soft, add in the minced garlic and saute a remaining 1-2 minutes until fragrant. You want to add the garlic in after the onion has softened, if not the garlic will burn before the onion cooks.
Deglaze the pan with the white wine, add in the diced tomatoes, marinara sauce, chicken stock, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling add in the tortellini, cook according to package directions, 8-9 minutes. Lower heat and add in the cream. Stir to combine. Serve topped with shredded cheese and basil.
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Small white onion, diced
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Dry white wine
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz Chicken Stock
- 1 Jar, Marinara Sauce
- 16 oz Refrigerated 3-cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded mozzarella, garnish
- Chopped basil, garnish
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat, add in the diced onion, saute for 2-3 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and saute for a remaining 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Deglaze with the white wine. Add in the diced tomatoes, chicken stock, marinara sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, add in the tortellini. Cook according to package directions, 8-9 minutes. Reduce heat add in the heavy cream. Serve topped with mozzarella and basil. Enjoy!