What is my favorite thing to do when I have regrettably bought too many apples again? Make apple crisp. With lots of cinnamon and lots of butter. Sounds good doesn’t it, the best part, it really doesn’t matter what kind of apples you have, any kind can work. This can basically be like an apple pie without going to all of the work of actually making an apple pie.
Before we start I have one suggestion, if you have a kitchen aid mixer, and you do a lot of peeling or coring or you turn a lot of vegetables into noodles. Than I recommend buying an attachment for your kitchen aid, that does all of the above, and more. I have never really entertained the idea of spending more money on my kitchen aid than I already had, but that attachment is one of the few I have found to be worth it. Just a heads, up.
Also another tip, many recipes will tell you which size of pan to use as a guideline, but it doesn’t really even matter. As long as your apples fit in somewhat or an even layer and you have enough surface area to add your crumble toppings, than you can choose your pan accordingly from there. I doesn’t have to be round or square or rectangular or shallow or deep. You get it.
Start by washing, peeling, and coring your apples. Slice them evenly and transfer to a large mixing bowl. If you are allowing the apples to sit out for some time, toss them in a little lemon juice while they wait. In the same bowl as the apples, mix in the white sugar and cinnamon, I like extra cinnamon. Stir to combine. Transfer the prepared apples into a baking dish, whatever that happens to be.
Using the same mixing bowl, combine the brown sugar, oats, flour, salt, and cubed butter. Using your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter. Mix together util the butter is in tiny pea-sized pieces. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the seasoned apples, pat down slightly to incorporate.
Bake at 350 degrees F, for 45-50 minutes, until the apples are tender and the crumble is golden brown and warm. Serve immediately along with ice cream and enjoy!
Old Fashion Cinnamon Apple Crisp
- 6 Honey Crisp or Golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 cup Light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Old fashioned oats
- 3/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Cold unsalted butter, diced
- Pinch of Salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease an 8x8 baking dish, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chopped apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Stir to combine, then transfer to prepared baking dish.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine, brown sugar, flour, oats, salt and cold cubed butter. Using your hands, a fork, or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into tiny, pea-sized crumbs.
- Spread topping over apples in baking dish, and gently pat to even it out. Bake 40-50 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm and enjoy!