Looking for fun, easy, fresh recipes for the Memorial Day weekend? Everyone loves a long weekend, whether you’re spending it out on the lake with friends, or having a family BBQ in the backyard, some nice weather and time to relax is always refreshing.
But as with any event where friends and family are involved, there comes the dread of deciding what you’re going to make to eat. Of course we are looking for something easy and preferably fast. But personally I also like dishes that I don’t have to worry about if they get left out longer than I would like, even better, dishes I don’t have to worry about warming up.
I feel Memorial Day marks the start of Summer, with kids being out of school, graduations going on, warmer weather, and all the fresh produce. That being said, what a better use for fresh fruit and vegetables than an easy summer side dish. This Zucchini salad with blistered tomatoes and mozzarella is a unique spin on a traditional ‘salad’, but it is different and refreshing.
I love making this because not only does it come together in minutes, but it can be served warm, at room temperature, or even cold if needed. Plus it can be very budget friendly, you can always substitute a different type of cheese if you want to skip the higher price of fresh mozzarella. You can always adapt the recipe to your liking, feel free to swap out vegetables.
Start by slicing the zucchini in thin, uniform pieces, the thinner the pieces, the quicker they will cook, and in my opinion the better they look in a salad. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, place the sliced zucchini in the boiling water and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until tender but still crunchy. Transfer them to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking, drain and set aside.
You can either leave the cherry tomatoes whole, or slice them in half. For presentation purposes I like leaving them whole. Turn on the broiler to high, place the tomatoes in a single layer on a sheet pan. Place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes until the tomatoes start to blister and brown slightly. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Drain the mozzarella and slice into small cubes. In a small mixing bowl combine the dressing ingredients, stir to combine. On a large serving platter lay the zucchini and tomatoes out evenly, top with the cubed mozzarella and drizzle the dressing over the top. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley, serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
Zucchini Salad with Blistered Tomatoes & Mozzarella
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Tsp Black pepper
- I large zucchini, sliced and blanched
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into small cubes
- Fresh basil, finely chopped
- In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, drop the sliced zucchini in and cook for 1-2 minutes until just slightly tender. Transfer to ice water and drain.
- Place the cherry tomatoes on a sheet pan, place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes until they start to blister. Remove from the oven. Toss the zucchini and tomatoes in the dressing. Transfer to a serving platter.
- Top with the cubed mozzarella and chopped fresh basil, serve and enjoy.