I know it’s basically Summer, and some people are strictly ‘soup in the winter’ type of people. But I happen to enjoy soup even in the summer, and no, not only gazpacho or room temperature soups, As long as I’m not hot when I’m eating my soup, I enjoy it. Plus Summer is full of so much wonderful produce that i great in soups, especially chowders.
Now this is not a chowder, but I do have a special place in my heart for chowder. But this taco soup has a special spot for that fresh Summer produce taking shelter in your fridge. Even though this is clearly a recipe, please feel free to add and remove and ingredients based on your liking. Like extra vegetables? Than add in whatever you have on hand.
Also, I made this soup with ground beef, but feel free to substitute shredded chicken, pork or make it without the meat all together. While we are on the topic of substitutions, if you don’t have the fresh produce on hand, you can certainly use canned corn or canned tomatoes for this. And, as any soup that I make, my ‘recipe’ is just a general idea of what to use, if you don’t have beef stock use chicken, or even vegetable stock. Don’t have black beans, substitute kidney beans, I promise you won’t notice a difference. As always, use what you have!
Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add in the ground beef and cook until crumbled and no longer pink. Drain any remaining grease, add in the taco seasoning and stir to combine.
Add in the tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, black beans, and beef stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, allow to boil 3-5 minutes. Than reduce heat to medium again, add in the shredded cheese and stir to combine, you want all the cheese to be melted. Add in the heavy cream, stir again to combine.
Serve topped with any desired toppings, I enjoy, tortilla strips, sour cream, avocado slices, extra shredded cheese, and fresh cilantro. Best if served within 3-4 days of preparation.
One-Pot Taco Soup
- 1 pound Lean ground beef
- 2 14.5 ounce cans, diced tomatoes, substitute fresh if desired
- 1 15 ounce can corn, drained, substitute fresh if desired
- 1 15 ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Taco seasoning package, or substitute homemade spices
- 1 32 ounce carton of beef stock
- 2 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream
- Tortilla strips, Avocado, Sour Cream, Tomatoes, and Cilantro for garnishments
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat add in the ground beef. Cook and crumble until no longer pink and drain the grease if necessary. Add in the taco seasoning and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, black beans, and beef broth. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduces temperature to medium, add in the shredded cheese, stir until melted. Add in the heavy cream, stir to combine. Serve with desired toppings and enjoy!