I’m so excited to share this recipe! I typically stick more with dishes and desserts, but I do love a good cocktail, especially one you can make at home! Plus its been in the low 20’s here and I’ve been tracking grey snow and snow melt all over my apartment, with that being said I think tropical peach margaritas are the long overdue.
I tend to stick with basic mixed drinks or craft beer when we go out, as cocktails can get a bit pricey at times. But I always think it’s fun to make your own cocktails at home, especially if you’re having people over, practice makes perfect! These don’t have to be peach anyway, you can take a classic margarita and infuse it with many other fresh flavors! Strawberry of course is a classic, pineapple, blackberry, or one of my favorites, mint and herb!
It;s fun to experiment with fresh flavors and ingredients, and if you make drinks at home, like anything you can control what goes into them. Typically cocktails, like margaritas that are made in restaurants are pre-batched and contain a lot of sugary ingredients. Learning to make drinks at home not only saves some cash but it also cuts down on a lot of the artificial ingredients!
Crushing up peach flavored hard candies is a good way to add extra peach flavor and add nice color to the rim of your glasses. The fresh lime zest also adds nice color and adds a nice tang of lime. You can always just do a basic salt rim!
If these don’t make you feel like you’re somewhere warm, at least they taste amazing. They are also extremely photogenic, and they will make your dinner party seem way more cool than it actually was, but no one has to know! This year we’re all about surrounding ourselves with good friends, good food, and better drinks!
You’ll want to start by making the peach simple syrup, like I mentioned earlier you do not necessarily have to make these peach, if you chose a different flavor you may just replace the peach. In a large saucepan combine the honey, water, and prepared peaches. Heat over medium heat until the honey is dissolved, turn the heat down to low and allow the peaches to steep for at least 20 minutes, or up to an hour. Strain the liquid from the peaches, allow the simple syrup to come to room temperature before using. Store the peaches to use as toppings or in spreads.
Fill a cocktail shaker with tequila, fresh lime juice, orange liquor, and the peach simple syrup. Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds. In a small shallow, rimmed dish combine salt, sugar, lime zest,a and crushed peach candies if desired. Use the leftover limes to moisten the edge of the glass and press the rim of the glass into the mixture to coat. Carefully fill the glass with ice and strain into the glass, garnish with fresh limes and a peace slice, and enjoy!
Peach Lime Margaritas
- Cocktail Shaker
- 4 ounces Tequila of choice
- 2 ounces Lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 ounce Peach Simple Syrup
- 1 ounce Orange liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- For the Peach Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 Medium Peaches, Peeled, Pitted, and Chopped
- For rim of glass:
- 1/2 tsp Lime zest
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2-3 Crushed peach flavored hard candies, optional
- In a large saucepan combine the honey, water, and chopped peaches. Heat over medium heat until the honey is melted. Allow the peaches to steep in this mixture for at least 20 minutes. Strain the liquid from the peaches. Allow to come to room temperature before using. Save the leftover peaches for toppings.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add tequila, lime juice, peach simple syrup and orange liqueur. Cover and shake until mixed and chilled, about 30 seconds.
- Combine salt, sugar, lime zest, and crushed peach candies on a small plate. Use the leftover lime to moisten edge of glass, press the rim of the glass into the mixture to coat the rim.
- Fill glass with ice. Strain margarita into the glass. Serve with remaining fresh lime wedges and sliced peaches. Enjoy!