Who decided Tuesday’s were for tacos? We think taco’s fit nicely into any day. Especially these chili lime marinated chicken tacos, loaded with crunchy slaw, fresh cilantro and avocado. We do taco night a lot around here, there’s just so many options. Tortilla shells are the perfect vessel for just about any mix of ingredients.
I love setting up a taco bar with corn and flour tortillas, seasoned beef, chicken and pork, and a plethora of toppings to choose from. That way everyone can customize their tacos exactly how they like, plus you can have more of a variety! Win.
Start by making the marinade for the chicken, in a large Ziploc bag or an airtight container mix the lime juice, oil, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Add in the chicken breasts and marinate up to 24 hours or as little as 30 minutes. Obviously the longer the meat marinates the more tender and flavorful it will be, but if you are short on time, marinating for 30 minutes will still be alright.
Once the chicken is done marinating heat a large noon stick saute pan or cast iron pan over medium-high heat. Since the weather here is getting cold already I have retired my grill for the season so I like to use a cast iron pan with grates in it to achieve nice grill marks. Oil your pan and place the chicken breasts in the pan to cook, 5 minutes on each side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Once the chicken is done cooking let rest on a cutting board about 10 minutes before slicing.
Before service heat the tortillas slightly, wash the shredded cabbage, slice the avocado and tear cilantro for a garnish. Take a tortilla top it with a handful of cabbage, a few strips of chicken, some avocado slices, fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream, and enjoy your bundle of goodness!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 8-10 flour or corn tortillas
- 1 bag shredded cabbage
- 1 Avocado
- Sour cream
- In a airtight container, combine the lime juice, oil, salt, chili powder, onion powder, cumin and cayenne pepper, stir to mix. Add in the chicken breasts and evenly coat. Allow to marinate for up to 24 hours or as little as 30 minutes.
- Bring a large saute pan or a cast iron pan to medium-high heat, add oil. Once oil is hot add the chicken breasts, cook for 5 minutes than flip, cook for another 5 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the cutting board about 10 minutes before slicing.
- Heat the tortillas before service, top each tortilla with a hand full of shredded cabbage, some sliced chicken,fresh avocado, chopped cilantro and sour cream, add any other garnishes you would like and enjoy!