This easy tomatillo salsa is fresh, spicy, and quick to make. Broil or roast the ingredients on a sheet pan until charred, toss in a blender, and season to taste. You can find tomatillos at most grocery stores and markets. It can be easier to find tomatillos in the summer, they can be spotted at farmers markets and stands!
Fresh tomatillos, poblano’s, jalapeños, garlic, and onion roasted in the oven or charred over a flame
Tools I used for this recipe:
- USA Pan Half Sheet Pan – my go-to sheet pans, these are truly non-stick and clean up nicely.
- Ninja Food Processor – perfect for blending this salsa quickly into a smooth salsa
If you like this easy tomatillo salsa, you’ll love…
All ingredients can be roasted together in the oven. The smaller the tomatillo, the sweeter!
Instructions for the easy tomatillo salsa:
First, preheat oven broiler to high*, on a large sheet pan combine the tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeños, onion, and garlic. Then, drizzle heavily with olive oil and season with salt.
Broil on high until everything is nicely charred and has softened, roughly 5-8 minutes
Transfer everything to a blender or food processor. Then add in the fresh cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest. Blend until smooth. Then adjust salt and lime to taste. Chill and enjoy. This salsa will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
*You can roast everything in the oven under the broiler, over a gas stove, or on a grill. Charing gives the salsa extra flavor.
Easy Tomatillo Salsa
- Blender or food processor
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs Tomatillos, husks removed, halved or quartered
- 2-3 large Jalapeños, seeded and halved
- 2 Poblano peppers, seeded and halved
- 4-5 cloves Garlic, peeled
- 1 medium White Onion, quartered
- Olive oil
- 1 bunch Cilantro
- Lime juice and zest, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven broiler to high*, on a large sheet pan combine the tomatillos, poblanos, jalapeños, onion, and garlic. Drizzle heavily with olive oil and season with salt.
- Broil on high until everything is nicely charred and has softened, roughly 6-8 minutes
- Transfer everything to a blender or food processor. Add in the fresh cilantro, lime juice, and lime zest. Blend until smooth, or leave chunky if desired. Adjust salt and lime to taste. This salsa will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.