My favorite part about summer is the colorful produce, the seasonal fruit and veggies add much needed color to every meal, no filter needed here. I love buying fresh organic produce from the farmer’s market, I also love when I can support local shops and business owners. I found these beautiful heirloom carrots and I knew the variety of colors would look beautiful.
This was a very simple recipe, as the carrots do most of the work, Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees F, scrub and dry the carrots, I typically don’t peel them, I stick to simply scrubbing them off. I sliced my carrots in half vertically, because some of them were pretty large. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil, salt and fresh thyme.
Place in the oven and roast for 20 minutes, remove the carrots from the oven and turn, drizzle with more olive oil if needed and return to the oven. Bake an additional 15-20 minutes until the carrots are fork tender.
Allow to cool slightly before plating, serve along side you’re favorite weekly dinner, these are sure to add color and flavor to any dish!
- 12 heirloom carrots -rainbow mix
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 6 sprigs thyme
- Clean and dry the carrots, slice in half horizontally, toss the carrots with the olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- Roast at 425 degrees F for about 40 minutes, until al dente turning once half way through cooking.
- Remove the carrots from the oven and top with thin small dabs of the cold orange butter. Sprinkle with some fresh herbs and enjoy as a side dish next to steaks, roasts or chicken.
- If you prefer a deeper caramelization of the carrots, just throw them under the broiler fire for a minute or two.