It’s been a long week, I think everyone deserves a little treat. By little treat I mean these tahini and sea salt chocolate chip cookies. Try saying that 5 times fast. Tahini is all the rage lately, it’s nothing new but the endless possibilities are. In the past I’ve only used tahini in hummus, than I started using it in salad dressings and thought why not bake with it as well.
Everyone loves chocolate chip cookies, it a no brainier, but add some creamy, nutty tahini and a little flaky sea salt on top and the flavor profile completely changes, and for the better. I definitely recommend making these, people will think they are strange until they taste them, than they will apologize for ever questioning you.
Also what perfect timing, thanksgiving is next week, hint hint. Go ahead and make those traditional pies but while your whipping that up, whip up a batch of these cookies as well. Everyone at your thanksgiving will love it.
Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees F, Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, you can also use a hand mixer, cream the butter, tahini (stir well), white sugar and brown sugar. Add in the eggs and the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides and add in the flour, salt, and baking soda, mix on low to save yourself from flying flour.
Once mixed, remove form the mixer and fold in the chocolate chips using a spatula. With a cookie scoop or a spoon form cookie dough balls about an inch wide and place them evenly spaced out on the baking sheets. I highly suggest investing into a cookie scoop, they make the perfect sized cookies with a fraction of the work.
Bake the cookies 13-15 minutes until they are set up and light browned, allow to cool on a cooling rack before serving. keep for up to a week in an airtight container.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky sea salt, for topping
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, tahini, granulated sugar and brown sugar, until fluffy. Scrape down the sides and add in the eggs and vanilla, and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add in the flour, salt, and baking soda, mix until evenly combined.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, Line two baking sheets with parchment paper Using a cookie scoop or a spoon form the dough into 1-2 inch rounds, place the balls evenly spaced out on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 14 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle cookies with sea salt, and let the cookies cool on the baking sheet.