Were on the quest to pack more nutrition into our daily lives, so we figured we would start with something that not only made and amazing breakfast but also would double as a great snack. To me granola is always fun to make because you can make it with just about anything you want.
I try to base my recipes and meals off of items I already have so I have to pick up minimal items from the store. I usually always have ingredients on hand for granola, rolled oats are not only inexpensive but they are also a nutritional super food, I always have some assortment of dried fruit on hand whether it is cranberries or raisins, nuts and seeds are good to have on hand for snacks or for baked goods.
For this super food granola we mixed in pepitas, which are the small green seeds inside of the traditional white pumpkin seeds we see, they contain healthy fats, iron, zinc and potassium. A hand full of sunflower seeds adds a plethora of vitamins like, vitamin E and vitamin B1. Almonds add another dose of vitamin E, as well as fiber and healthy fats.
To start in a large bowl combine rolled oats, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, cranberries, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a smaller bowl combine the maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut oil and vanilla. Combine the wet and dry ingredients gently fold to mix. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread the granola out in a even layer. Bake for 20 minutes at 300 degrees F, after 20 remove from oven and stir, place bake in the oven for another 20 minutes. Once the granola is done baking allow to cool slightly than pour into an airtight container and enjoy!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup sun flower seeds
- 1/4 raisins
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together oats, pepitas, sunflower seeds, almonds, cranberries, raisins cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla, stir to combine.
- Pour over dry ingredients and mix well until oats are completely coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes stir and return granola to the oven and bake 15-20 minutes longer or until slightly golden brown.