Mornings can be rough for everyone, get everyone’s day going right with these quick whole wheat banana oat muffins. These are packed with flavor and have plenty of natural sugar, so no one will know they are eating a nutrient packed snack! Not only is this a healthy snack or breakfast recipe, but it is also a very budget friendly recipe, especially if you don’t count those over-ripe banana’s you are about to throw out.
I like using whole wheat in recipes like this, because the natural sweetness of the fruit handles the flavor of whole wheat flour well. I also like to add oats not only on the outside, I think it makes these look even more delicious. These are best right out of the oven, so I like to pop one in the microwave before heading out in the morning so it’s still warm and fresh.
You can add other fruits into these muffins, I always like to use bananas as a base because their texture is very easy to work with. Some good fresh or frozen options to try would be blueberries or raspberries, chopped peaches, or strawberries. I added brown sugar to these muffins so they did have some sweetness, other than the sweetness from the bananas. But feel free to substitute apple sauce of natural sugar for a ‘healthier’ muffin.
Start by preheating the oven to 400 degrees F, line or grease a muffin tin, set aside. In a large mixing bowl combine the softened butter and sugar, cream together until smooth, 2-3 minutes. Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and mashed bananas, mix well to incorporate.
In a separate mixing bowl combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder, mix well to combine. With the mixer running on low slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix until everything is well incorporated, fold in the oats.
Using a measuring spoon or a cookie scoop, scoop even sized amounts into the prepared muffin tin, until all of the batter has been used. Sprinkle the remaining oats on top. Bakes at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until set in the middle. Allow to cool slightly before serving!
- 4 Tbsp Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Whole egg
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1 Cup Oats
- 1 Cup Flour
- 3 Bananas, over ripe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line or grease a muffin pan, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugar, 2-3 minutes until smooth. Add in the mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla, mix until incorporated.
- Add in the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, mix again until incorporated. Fold in the oats. Portion out into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the muffins with extra oats as a garnish.
- Bake at 400 degrees F, for 15 -20 minutes, allow to cool slightly before serving and enjoy!