This southwest chicken chili is the perfect easy and comforting one pot meal. Loaded with chicken, diced tomatoes with green chilies, corn, beans, and plenty of spices. Using Red Gold petite diced tomatoes with green chilies is a total time saver and the perfect way to add in some extra flavor and spice. Not only are Red Gold tomatoes delicious and flavorful, but they have a Chef’s Best Excellence Award meaning you can be sure you are getting the highest quality product out there. Top chili with diced avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro, or enjoy as is! Even better, this chili makes great leftovers.
Tools I used for this recipe:
- USA Pan Half Sheet Pan – my go-to sheet pans, these are truly non-stick and clean up nicely.
- Wooden Spoons – perfect for sautéing and mixing
- Handheld Mandolin – perfect for getting even slices, this mandolin has a rubber handle for good grip and a safety guard. Plus it takes up very little space and you can change the thickness as desired.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cream or milk and 4 oz. cream cheese for a creamy southwest chicken chili
- Substitute black beans for cannellini beans
- Add in fresh jalapeño for extra spice
If you like this southwest chicken chili, you’ll love…
- Vegetable Oil
- Chicken Stock
- Red Gold Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies
- Cannellini Beans
- Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
- Avocado, Cilantro, Red onion, Sour cream, for garnish
Instructions for the Southwest chicken chili:
Heat oil in a large kettle, add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in chicken broth, petite diced tomatoes & green chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add beans, corn and chicken; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
Serve immediately, garnish with avocado, sour cream, cheese, or desired garnish.
*For quick shredded chicken, bring a large stock pot of water to a low boil. Add in raw chicken breast and simmer for 10-12 minutes until cooked through. Remove and shred with a fork.
Southwest Chicken Chili
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Small onion, finely chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 14.5 ounce cans Red Gold® Petite Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilies 14.5 oz
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp Ground coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans
- 1 14.5 ounce can whole kernel corn
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Avocado, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeños, or red inion for garnish
- Heat oil in a large kettle, add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in chicken broth, petite diced tomatoes & green chilies, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add beans, corn and chicken; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Serve immediately garnish with avocado, sour cream, cheese, or desired garnish.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.