Happy Thursday, it’s almost the weekend! We have the perfect one-pot dinner for you to whip up. Everyone loves lasagna, I used to make it pretty regularly in our house, but it can be a little time consuming and the cleanup wasn’t also quick either. I started thinking how I could make it an easier weeknight meal. I had made pasta fagioli, which is pretty similar, so why not make traditional lasagna into a soup.
I love it even more because I can make it in one pot. I always have canned tomatoes and stock in my pantry, and we usually have 1 or 2 jars of opened pasta sauce in our fridge, which I always put to good use in this soup. I know the recipe calls for crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and tomato juice but if you have opened pasta sauce in your fridge like I do, than go ahead and add that instead of the tomato juice. if you only have diced tomatoes than omit the crushed tomatoes. You can really use what you have on hand in this soup.
I like to make this soup on Sundays than have leftovers for the week, this soup reheats really well but due to the starch in the noodles it tends to get a little thick, I just thin it out with a little water or chicken stock and it’s good as new.
In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add in the ground beef, saute until browned, 4-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic, saute another 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, and tomato juice, Stir to combine. Season with the dried basil, thyme, oregano, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
Once boiling add in the crushed lasagna noodles, I like to place the noodles in a Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin or a meat tenderizer. Boil the noodles until tender, 9-11 minutes. Once tender, reduce the heat to low and add in the shredded mozzarella. Stir to combine, top with chopped basil and serve!
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 lb Ground beef
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 32 oz carton chicken stock
- 2 14.5 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Tomato juice
- 1 tbsp Dried basil
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 8 Lasagna noodles, crushed up
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh basil, for garnish
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in the ground beef and saute until browned. Add in the minced garlic and saute until fragrant, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and tomatoes juice. Stir to combine and season with the basil, thyme, oregano,sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Add in the crushed lasagna noodles, boil until tender. Reduce heat to a simmer, add in the shredded mozzarella, stir to combine and top with the chopped basil.