These easy thin and chewy chocolate chip cookies are soft, buttery, and studded with chocolate chips. These classic cookies combine brown sugar and granulated sugar and only require an hour of chilling. Needing just 10 pantry ingredients you’ve never been closer to freshly baked cookies! Perfect for the cookie lover in your life. Customize them as desired by adding in different kinds of chocolate, nuts, or chopped dried fruit.
- Cream softened butter and sugars
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract
- Add in dry ingredients
- Mix on low to combine
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Chill for 60 minutes
- Scoop using a portion scoop, roll into cookie dough balls
- Bake and cool on a wire rack
Highlights of these chewy chocolate chip cookies:
- Thin chocolate chip cookies
- Crisp edges
- Chewy cookie
- Studded with milk chocolate
- Easy recipe
- 60 minute chill time
- Soft cookies
Use a portion scoop to get perfectly sized cookies that bake evenly each time!
If you like these thin and chewy chocolate chip cookies, you’ll love these other popular cookie recipes…
Salted Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies (thee most popular!)
These cookies have a soft, chewy texture and are thin with slightly crispy edges.
You can freeze this cookie dough!
Simply make the cookie dough according to the recipe, scoop even sized amounts of dough onto a sheet pan and place in the freezer until hard. Transfer the cookie dough to an airtight container or freezer bag labeled with the date, type of cookie, and baking instructions. Keep in your freezer stash for 6-8 months. Remove desired amount when needed, bake, and enjoy! You may even want to make a double batch!
TOOLS I USED FOR THIS RECIPE:
- USA Pan Half Sheet Pan – my go-to sheet pans, these are truly non-stick and clean up nicely.
- KitchenAid 6 Qt. Stand Mixer – I always recommend a stand mixer as it saves time and helps to keep baked goods consistent.
- Rubber Spatula – a must for any home baker! Perfect for scrapping cookie dough out of the mixing bowl.
- Portion Scoops – my go to for getting even sized cookies that bake perfectly each time!
Grocery store list:
- Unsalted Butter, softened
- Granulated white sugar
- Brown sugar (light or dark brown sugar works)
- Large eggs, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Kosher salt
- Chocolate chips (can use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or semi sweet chocolate chips)
Allow dough to chill for an hour so these chewy cookies spread but not to thin!
Instructions for the thin and chewy chocolate chip cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, or using an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and sugars together until creamy on medium-high speed, for about 3-4 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, and eggs, one at a time. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and mix until incorporated.
In a small bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mix on low until fully combined. Cover the dough and allow to chill for 60 minutes. Fold in the chocolate chips or chocolate chunks.
Using a portion scoop or measuring spoon, measure even sized scoops of dough and transfer onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. The cookies will be soft, but will set up. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet, transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container for up to a week!
Notes & Tips:
- These cookies will spread thin, so it can be helpful to bake them in batches, and keep them spread out
- Chill the cookie dough between your first and second batch
- Take the cookies out before you think they are done, they will harden up slightly as they cool
- If baking in batches, allow oven to come back up to temperature in between opening the oven door – an oven thermometer can help regulate the temperature.
- Bake slightly longer if you want thin crispy cookies, 3-4 minutes longer.
Thin & Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- 1 oz. Scoop – optional
- 1 cup Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 cups Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 Eggs, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together until creamy, about 3-4 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, and eggs, one at a time. Scrap down the sides of the bowl and mix until evenly incorporated.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix on low until fully combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the dough and allow to chill for 60 minutes
- Using a portion cookie scoop or measuring spoon, measure even sized scoops of dough (about 1 oz.) and transfer onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2-3 inches between each cookie. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. The cookies will be soft, but will set up. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container for up to a week!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Visit my post on 9 Tips & Tricks for Baking Better Cookies for tips & tricks!
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.