This copycat Starbucks peppermint hot chocolate is rich and decadent. Milk, semi-sweet chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar, and peppermint extract make up this easy recipe. Done in just minutes, this hot cocoa is sure to warm you up in the winter months. With the perfect addition of peppermint flavor this will get you into the holiday spirit!
Highlights of this easy peppermint hot chocolate:
- Rich and creamy texture
- Done in minutes, all you need is a saucepan!
- Made with simple ingredients, nothing special
- Fun for Christmas or any holiday get together
- Can be reheated or kept warm in a crockpot for parties
- Cheaper and more customizable
- Fun topping ideas
- Great for kids and adults, can be made boozy for adults as desired
- Starbucks copycat recipe
- No hot cocoa mix needed
- Chocolate flavor from real chocolate, no flavoring
A large mug full of warm peppermint hot cocoa is sure to warm you up in the cool winter months. Whip this up after shoveling, as an after dinner treat, or for a gathering and everyone will love it. Make a big batch and keep warm in the crockpot for a fun hot cocoa bar – for adults, serve with baileys, peppermint shnapps or kahlua for a boozy hot cocoa.
Grocery Store List & Substitutions:
- Whole milk, could substitute heavy cream, soy milk, half and half or almond milk for a thinner mixture
- Granulated white sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips, could use dark chocolate chip, milk chocolate chips, or a chopped chocolate bar
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint extract, or just use peppermint candies
- Mini marshmallows, whipped cream, or candy canes for toppings
If you like this Copycat Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate, you’ll love these other easy recipes…
- In a large saucepan combine milk, sugar, and cocoa
- Then, heat over medium heat until combined
- Thirdly, add in chocolate, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract
- Lastly, heat again until melted and smooth
What does peppermint hot cocoa taste like?
Peppermint hot cocoa is rich, creamy, and decadent. The perfect mixture of melted semi-sweet chocolate and a tingle of peppermint extract.
What is peppermint hot chocolate made of?
Make peppermint holt chocolate with milk, sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, semi-sweet chocolate, vanilla, and peppermint extract. Just 6 simple ingredients.
Tools I used for this copycat Starbucks recipe:
- Small stainless steel saucepan – the perfect small saucepan to make this hot cocoa!
- Dry measuring cups – a staple in my kitchen
- Coffee Mugs – a must!
- Peppermint or candy canes
- Large or mini marshmallows (could even toast the marshmallow)
- Chocolate shavings
- Homemade whipped cream
- White chocolate chips
- Chocolate sauce
- Dark chocolate curls
Just like at the coffee shop, this homemade hot chocolate is smooth and decadent. A great hot drink to keep you warm on a cold winter day. Serve with peppermint candy and mini marshmallows.
Instructions for this easy copycat peppermint hot chocolate:
- Firstly, in a large saucepan combine milk, sugar, and cocoa. Heat over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, add in chocolate, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Then heat again over medium-high heat until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Lastly, serve immediately topped with marshmallows, whipped cream, and candy canes!
*Cool and store leftover chocolate in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat to enjoy.
- Don’t scold milk, heat over medium-high heat and stir often
- Make sure sugar and cocoa dissolve
- Use small chocolate chips or chunks to ensure chocolate melts smoothly
- Serve immediately for best results
- Add toppings!
This recipe is made with just 6 simple ingredients, much cheaper to make at home! Plus you can customize how much peppermint flavor you would like! Perfect for the holiday season!
Copycat Starbucks Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 2 1/2 cups Whole milk
- 1/4 cup Granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp Peppermint extract
- Marshmallows, candy canes, or whipped cream for topping
- In a large saucepan combine milk, sugar, and cocoa. Heat over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring often until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, add in chocolate, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Heat again over medium-high heat until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Serve immediately topped with marshmallows, whipped cream, and candy canes!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.