This simple vanilla coffee syrup recipe comes together in a few simple steps and requires just a few ingredients. Perfect for a vanilla latte, iced coffee, or in your morning coffee! Made with real vanilla bean and granulated sugar, this syrup has a rich vanilla taste with specs of vanilla bean. Store in the fridge for up to 2 months and have coffee syrup on hand whenever.
This homemade simple syrup makes a great gift for the coffee lover!
Make your own vanilla syrup with just three ingredients! Prefect for hot of cold coffee.
Highlights of this homemade syrup:
- Requires just a few ingredients
- Keep for weeks in the fridge
- Real vanilla bean
- All ingredients can be found at a local grocery store
- Intense vanilla flavor
- No artificial sweeteners or flavors
- Equal parts sugar and water
- Copycat for Starbucks vanilla syrup
Grocery list for the homemade vanilla syrup recipe:
- Granulated white sugar (could substitute brown sugar for a richer taster or cane sugar)
- Whole vanilla bean
- Vanilla bean paste
If you like the vanilla coffee syrup recipe, you’ll love these other favorite coffee drinks..
Substitutions for vanilla paste:
- Use 2 whole vanilla beans instead
- 1 vanilla bean + 1 tbsp vanilla extract (use pure vanilla extract)
- If you can’t find vanilla beans but have vanilla bean paste, increase paste to 2 tbsp
Fun uses for sugar syrup:
- Vanilla lattes
- London fog tea latte
- Mix into cold brew
- Add to blended coffee drinks
- Stir into a hot cup of coffee
- Great for cold beverages like iced coffee
- Shaken espresso drinks
- Can be used in non-alcoholic drinks or cocktails
- Mix into iced tea
- Make your favorite coffee shop drinks at home
Is vanilla coffee syrup the same as vanilla extract?
No, vanilla coffee syrup is very sweet with specs of vanilla bean and has a thick texture. While vanilla extract is very thin and can be bitter or overly fragrant on it’s own. They should not be interchanged, but vanilla extract can be used to make vanilla syrup.
Can you put coffee syrup in hot coffee?
Absolutely! Simply brew your coffee as usual and stir in a spoonful of vanilla syrup in substitute of coffee creamer, stir to dissolve.
Now you can make your favorite Starbucks drinks at home!
Instructions for the homemade vanilla coffee syrup
- In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water, vanilla bean, and vanilla bean paste. Heat over medium heat until simmering, and the sugar starts to dissolve. Simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to reduce for 10-12 minutes. The mixture should be fragrant and thickened slightly. Allow to cool at room temperature and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to a month.
Simple Vanilla Coffee Syrup Recipe:
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Vanilla bean, sliced in half
- 2 tsp Vanilla bean paste
- In a medium saucepan combine the sugar, water, vanilla bean, and vanilla bean paste. Heat over medium-high heat until simmering, simmer for 3-5 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and allow to reduce for 10-12 minutes. The mixture should be fragrant and thickened slightly. Allow to cool and transfer to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to a month.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.