This 2 ingredient instant pot bbq chicken is insanely easy and so delicious! All you need is boneless, skinless chicken breasts and BBQ sauce, any kind will work, I like honey bbq. Making this chicken in the instant pot ensures it comes out tender and juicy. Perfect for weekly meal prep, rice bowls, sandwiches, or lettuce wraps, the whole family will love it.
I served my bbq chicken in a rice bowl with easy pineapple salsa and avocado!
Simply combine the chicken and bbq sauce, pressure cook until tender, and shred.
Tools I used for the 2-ingredient bbq chicken:
- Instant Pot – A versatile counter top appliance perfect for quickly cooking this BBQ chicken! My favorite electric pressure cooker.
- Shallow Bowls – Perfect for serving these rice bowls.
- Tongs – A must kitchen utensil, perfect for transferring the chicken.
- USA Pan Half Sheet Pan – my go-to sheet pans, these are truly non-stick and clean up nicely.
- Easy clean up
- Just two ingredients
- Juicy, tender chicken every time
- Hands free cooking
- Family favorite
- Natural release of steam
If you like this 2 ingredient instant pot BBQ chicken, you’ll love these other easy meals…
Quick pineapple salsa can be made with fresh pineapple, jalapeños, red onion, cilantro, line, and salt! A ton of flavor with minimal effort.
Quick Steps for this easy dinner recipe:
- Combine chicken and BBQ sauce
- Pressure cook
- Release pressure
- Return to pot
Grocery Store List:
- Skinless boneless chicken breasts (could substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs)
- BBQ sauce (can you any flavor, honey BBQ or spicy BBQ are my favorites or use a homemade bbq sauce recipe)
How long does it take to cook chicken in the Instant Pot?
Pressure cooking in the Instant Pot is the easiest way to cook chicken. This easy 2 ingredients BBQ chicken takes 25-30 minutes to cook. Cooking time may vary depending on chicken thickness and size. For faster cooking, pound out chicken before cooking.
Variations & Uses:
- Leave chicken whole or slice thinly
- Add on top of bbq chicken pizza or to grilled cheese
- Turn shredded chicken into tacos or enchiladas
- Use spicy BBQ sauce, honey BBQ sauce, or even a white BBQ sauce
- Serve shredded on hamburger buns or brioche buns as a BBQ chicken sandwiches
- Cube chicken before cooking and serve as “nuggets”
- Make a bbq chicken salad
Instructions for the easy instant pot bbq chicken recipe:
- In the base of an instant pot or pressure cooker, place chicken and BBQ sauce. Make sure the chicken is coated well. The extra sauce will keep the chicken moist and add extra bbq flavor.
- Secure the lid onto the pressure cooker. Turn on instant pot, select “Pressure Cook” setting, set to “high pressure” for 25-30 minutes*, and start. Once the timer has expired and the chicken has finished cooking, allow the remaining pressure to release naturally. The chicken should temp at 165 degrees F. once done.
- Remove from the bowl, transfer to a baking sheet to cool, and shred using two forks. Place the shredded meat back into the bowl of the pressure cooker to soak up the remaining sauce. Serve as is or as a sandwich or rice bowl.
- Store any unused shredded chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. See above for ideas on how to use leftover chicken.
*Cook time may change due to the thickness of the chicken breast, for quicker cooking, pound the chicken breasts.
*Youi can also use an electric hand mixer to easily shred chicken in a mixing bowl.
*If desired season chicken with chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder before cooking for extra flavor.
2 Ingredient Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Instant pot or pressure cooker
- 1 1/2 lbs. Boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- 1, 18 oz. Bottle of BBQ sauce, any kind
- In the base of an instant pot or pressure cooker, combine the chicken and BBQ sauce. Make sure the chicken is coated well.
- Secure the lid onto the pressure cooker. Turn on instant pot, select "Pressure Cook" setting, set to "high pressure" for 25-30 minutes*, and start. Once the timer has expired and the chicken has finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally. The chicken should temp at 165 degrees F. once done.
- Remove from the bowl and shred using two forks. Place the shredded chicken back into the bowl of the pressure cooker to soak up the remaining sauce. Serve as is or as a sandwich or rice bowl.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Serve this 2 ingredient BBQ chicken with steamed white rice or steamed brown rice!
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.