This perfect steamed rice is a great, easy side dish ready in just about 30 minutes. You can make this light, fluffy rice in a stock pot, no fancy equipment needed. With a rice to water ration of 1:2, you can easily adjust this recipe based on how many servings you need. A little salt while boiling adds the perfect bit of flavor, making this rice a great base for any meal!
Tools I used for this recipe:
- Fine Mesh Strainer – perfect for rinsing the rice without losing any of it down the sink!
- Le Creuset 5 1/2-Qt. Dutch Oven – enamel cast iron is great to stop the rice from sticking and this pot is large enough so nothing boils over
- Wooden Spoon – the perfect utensil for cooking in a stainless steel or cast iron pan!
Grocery List for perfect rice:
- Long grain white rice (basmati rice, jasmine rice, or American long grain white rice)
If you like this perfect steamed rice, try these other sides…
- Perfect rice every time
- No electric rice cooker needed
- Works on many different types of rice
- Foolproof method
- No mushy rice
- Takes about 30 minutes, 5 simple steps
- 2:1 ratio of water to rice
- Leftover rice makes a great, easy side dish
Instructions for perfect steamed rice:
Start by rinsing your uncooked rice to remove any impurities and excess starch.
In a large stock pot (4 qt. or larger) combine the rinsed rice, water, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat.
Once boiling, stir to make sure no rice is stuck to the bottom of the pot. Reduce to low heat, cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes remove from the heat and let sit with the lid on for 5 more minutes, you want to keep the steam inside the pot.
Remove lid and fluff gently with a fork, serve immediately.
*Cooking time may vary by a few minutes, test rice after 30 minutes and add time as needed.
*This rice will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container, just cool completely before storing. Or store in freezer safe bags for up to 4 months.
Perfect Steamed Rice (without a rice cooker)
- Stock Pot
- 3 cups White Rice, rinsed
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- In a large stock pot (4 qt. or larger) combine the rice, water, and salt. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, stir to make sure no rice is stuck to the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer on low for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes remove from the heat and let sit with the lid on for 5 more minutes, you want to keep the steam inside the pot.
- Remove lid and fluff gently with a fork, serve immediately.
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.