These scalloped sweet potatoes are such a quick and easy side dish. Tender sweet potatoes in a creamy herb sauce topped with parmesan cheese! Simply slice the sweet potatoes thinly, layer in a baking dish, cover with the creamy herb sauce and bake until tender. Top with cheese and broil until golden brown. This one pan side would be perfect for holiday gatherings or a weeknight meal!
Butter, oil, garlic, shallots, thyme, cream, and parmesan make the perfect sauce!
Tools I used for this recipe:
- Handheld Mandolin – perfect for getting even slices, this mandolin has a rubber handle for good grip and a safety guard. Plus it takes up very little space and you can change the thickness as desired.
- Stainless Steel Sauce Pan – the perfect size pan for warming up the cream mixture!
- Rectangular Baking Dish – the perfect size dish for these scalloped sweet potatoes!
If you like these scalloped sweet potatoes, you’ll love…
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Thyme or oregano
- Salt & pepper
Evenly layer sliced sweet potatoes in a greased baking dish
Instructions for the scalloped sweet potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, grease a rectangular baking dish. Evenly layer the sliced sweet potatoes in the dish (shown above).
In a small saucepan combine the butter, oil, garlic, shallot, fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Heat over medium-high heat until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream. Pour the mixture over the layered sweet potatoes. Top with half of the parmesan cheese.
Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Once tender remove from the oven and top with the remaining parmesan cheese. Broil on high for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, watch carefully so nothing burns.
Garnish with more fresh thyme and enjoy!
Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- Rectangular baking dish
- 4-5 Large sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 2-3 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Medium shallot, finely diced
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Fresh thyme, to taste
- 1/2 cup Heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, grease a baking dish and set aside. Evenly layer the sliced sweet potatoes in the dish (shown above).
- In a small saucepan heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Once warm add in the garlic and shallot, sauté for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Add in the fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and stir in the heavy cream. Pour the mixture over the layered sweet potatoes. Top with half of the parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender. Once tender remove from the oven and top with the remaining parmesan cheese. Broil on high for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, watch carefully so nothing burns.
- Garnish with more fresh thyme and enjoy!
Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Did you make this recipe?
I would love to see it! Take a picture and post to Instagram with the tag @theheartylife and the hashtag #theheartylife – You can also leave me a question or comment below! If you’ve tried this recipe, feel free to give it a star rating on the recipe above.